July 29th Updates From the Federal and Provincial Governments
July 29, 2020
Originally posted via ibewcco.org.
Please see below the most recent updates from the Federal and Provincial Governments regarding the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The federal government did make any new announcements today.
- Ontario launched their Independent Long-Term Care Covid-19 Commission. The appointed commissioners are Associate Chief Justice Frank N. Marrocco (Chair), former long-term public servant Angela Coke, and former President of the Ottawa Hospital, Dr. Jack Kitts. The commissioners are expected to deliver their final report by April 2021. Powers of the Commission include: conducting investigations, compelling evidence, issuing summons, and holding public meetings. The government said that the final report including recommendations is to be delivered no later than April 30, 2021.
- Premier Ford also made the long-awaited announcement that Toronto and Peel Region are moving into Stage 3 of economic reopening on Friday, July 31 at 12:01am. Windsor-Essex County Health Unit region will remain in Stage 2. The Premier said that he is confident Windsor-Essex will move into stage 3 “very soon”.
- Ontario announced a new strategy to improve the child welfare system that seeks to strengthen: community-based prevention services, the quality of residential care, education and employment opportunities, family-based options over group care, and efficiencies to ensure financial sustainability.
- Ontario announced along with the federal Government more than $2.5M to fund 235 farmer-led projects to improve environmental sustainability and water quality in the Lake Erie and Lake St. Clair watersheds.
- We are expecting Minister Lecce to deliver his re-opening plans for Ontario schools tomorrow.
Executive Secretary Treasurer
IBEW Construction Council of Ontario